McCarthy Architecture was asked by the Dallas Theological Seminary to assist in the updating their 1940’s era campus chapel. The chapel is the emotional epicenter of the campus. Many alumni, students, faculty and staff place high value on the significance of this structure; as such the interior design renovation required a thoughtful and careful consideration of the history of place.
The original seating, although worn, was of high quality and so it was determined to refurbish the seating with new paint, metal parts and fabric. Insulated clerestory window units with frosted glass replaced existing single pane yellow tinted glazing. Automatic rolling shades were added to these new windows to provide a dramatically darkened space for the many multimedia presentations that accompany worship. Existing mechanical ductwork and uplighting were located in new millwork pieces along each side of the chapel. The stage was modified with a red oak wainscot and a more simple backdrop. Construction was expedited during summer months to ensure completion for class use as the fall semester began.
Size: 4,500 square feet
Contract Type: Competitive Bid
Completion Date: September 2004